Saturday, June 27, 2009

Socialization For Dogs: Great No Matter Our Age

If you know this 10-pound mutt, and my mom the rockin' certified professional ventura dog trainer, then you know we're all about proper puppy socialization! But what does dog and puppy socialization really mean? Well, I'm here to tell you...

Similar to taking young children out into the world when they're young, just so they can adapt more easily to their environment, and just like enrolling children  in tons of activities like music lessons, sports activities, arts and crafts, reading programs, after school programs, day care, pre-school etc...it's important to take us dogs out when we're young. Whether it be to dog training classes, dog social play groups, or friends houses.

This doesn't mean to endanger us in any way... mom and I would never suggest that! But taking
 us in the car to different places. Or taking us to places where we can sit in our humans lap and be exposed to the environment - different smells, sights, sounds, even getting to say hello to all types of people is a great way to teach us how to adapt to the industrial revolution. After all, if you want us dogs to conform to your human world as adults, it's much easier to do so if you start us out young... but then again, it's never too late - as long as you make it fun! 

Mom has been working with lots of puppies in her private dog training sessions as well as her dog training classes and dog training workshops for new puppies. She keeps stressing the importance of the above mentioned steps - fortunately, her savvy clients have been on top of their game and following her suggestions. Oh boy are those poochies going to be some easy going dogs - they'll probably get to go to lots of places when they're older since they're starting out now! What great moms and dads they have... Just like mine. 

Just today dad took me to one of my favorite places - I got to meet a new canine pal - it was great! I got to play, make friends, and socialize. Even though I'm older, I still like doing new things...as long as it's fun and not forced and not scary.  

I wonder when we're going back? I wonder if I'll get to see my new friend again? I wonder if next time dad can ask if we can get together for a play-date? Hmm, something for this inquisitive canine to ponder. 

No comments: