Friday, December 25, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes Make Perfect Addition to Kong Toy Stuffing Recipe

My doggy sniffing sense is in high gear this Xmas morning....My mom the Ventura dog trainer and Kong toy stuffing extraordinaire is making homemade pumpkin pancakes for dad on this fine holiday morning. So, what does she do with the leftovers? Into the big Kong bowl it goes for yours truly!

Mom doesn't normally share her recipes, but since I was watching closely, and one of our @joanthedogcoach twitter followers asked, I thought I'd share this recipe...Mom will be cool with it because she knows these delectable edibles are a nice addition to use for stuffing into a Kong or as a nice reward for coming when called!

So this is what she did: (Remember, I'm not a professional recipe writer, just a blogger about dog and human behavior)
  • In mixing bowl beat one egg, 1/2 cup water, 3 tablespoons cream, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
  • Add one and one eight cup buttermilk pancake mix, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice or cinnamon.
  • Mix gently until incorporated, without over-mixing (if you beat it up too much all the air goes away...then the cakes are more like bricks...)
  • Heat skillet (mom uses one of those heavy cast iron skillets), add enough butter to grease the pan, then drop spoonfuls onto skillet - cook until brown, flip, cook until done - Keep warm in the oven until you're ready to chow down!
  • As for toppings, dad only likes butter on top - You can certainly add anything you like. Personally, I'd like lamb baby food or bacon, mom would prefer real Vermont maple syrup or pumpkin butter...
To read more about Kong stuffing ideas check out moms dog training tips blog post.

I see mom putting that leftover piece off dads plate into my treat pouch... I wonder where we're headed? Hmm, something for this now hungry inquisitive canine to ponder!

No comments: