- We're SOCIAL animals!
- We enjoy being with our family - whether it be one person, or an entire mob.
- We don't enjoy being left alone, especially if we're not used to it.
- When left alone, sometimes we get bored (that results in finding our own entertainment), or scared (try to escape, don't eat, howl for help).
A very aware dog mom wrote in to our Noozhawk dog behavior advice column about her own dog being left alone, and some concerns she had. Allow me to elaborate on some of the issues I mention above:
- Sometimes we get bored - and then find our own means of entertainment - which are often activities you humans don't appreciate. (Check out my friend Nellie - she used to redecorate her mom and dad's condo - they didn't appreciate it, but have since given her new and fun activities).
- Sometimes we get scared. Yours truly here doesn't like certain noises. One time the smoke detector batteries died, and the little device was making all sorts of weird noises. When mom and dad came home, I was all trembly and scared. Just wanted to get outta here!