Thursday, February 26, 2009

Talk About Barking Up the Right Tree

This is one of my latest Noozhawk advice columns. Mom and I really enjoy receiving all of your questions. So feel free to write in if you need suggestions about you and your dog. Sometimes all it takes is an unbiased ear...especially when it comes to barking! 

Dear Poncho,

I get so excited that I bark enthusiastically, very very loudly, over and over. I do it at many different times: in the morning when my owner comes to take me out, when she comes home from being away, or when we are getting home from a car ride. I bark very loudly, and sometimes in the car, right in her ear!

I really don’t like the habit, and my owner doesn’t know how to stop me. She tells me “No,” but I generally give it at least two to four more loud barks.
Do you have any suggestions other than muzzling me?

–– TJ

Dear TJ,

You are totally barking up the right tree! Barking is one of my very own favorite activities –– you can ask my mom, who’s a dog trainer. She’s probably heard every type of barking out there and says that my barks could “crack plaster.’’ I’m not sure what that means, but I’ll take it as a compliment.

It sounds like you bark for a variety of reasons –– like all of us dogs. It’s similar to humans talking, yelling and screaming for a variety of reasons. Personally, I appreciate your enthusiasm and zest for life.

I think we need to remind our humans what barking is:
Want to read more? Click here to get directly to the rest of my answer...

I wonder if mom will ever stop barking when she's driving? Hmm, something for this inquisitive canine to ponder... 

No comments: